why is there ebb and flow in the atlantic and the mediterranean?
the moon is not responsible for the ebb and flow in the atlantic; rather the ebb and flow is caused by the blocking up of the water in the mediterranean, which occurs because rivers from all sides flow into it. the mediterranean passes this accumulated mass of blocked water into the atlantic through the strait of gibraltar. this causes the water level of the atlantic ocean to rise. because water at a higher level always tries to descend to a lower level, the water that has flowed into the atlantic flows back in the direction of the strait of gibraltar, while at the same time the mediterranean is again being filled by the rivers.
- is the earth a living body?
- how did the different forms of rock develop?
- why can't the moon be responsible for ebb and flow?
- does ebb and flow occur when two rivers meet?
- did the rivers carve up the mountains?
- why is it that an object that would sink in calm water does not sink in moving water?
- how did the strait of gibraltar and the sinai mountain range come into being?
- how can one discover the origin of ebb and flow?
- can one influence the confluence of two rivers?
- which waves are particulary strong when a river swells up?
- how does water flow around two obstacles standing one after another?
- what forms of stone are created by rivers and seas?
- does a stone sink vertically to the bottom when its dropped into moving water?
- how can one make the movements of water visible?
- how does water flow around two obstacles standing near each other?
- how does water flow around three obstacles in a triangular formation?